Reviewing the Sample Covenants:
I. Covenant Community Church, UMC and Dottie Lloyd, Certified Lay Minister. (41)
II. Quimbly United Methodist church of Port Only, PA. (42)
III. IGRC Pastoral Expectations Document
Brainstorming Covenants Exercise.
The covenant includes …
- a brief description of the ministry setting,
- the roles and responsibilities of each team member and
- 3-4 specific ministry goals (12). (Full Covenant contents list on p. 22-23 and 30-40.
Remember – use the model IGRC covenant as you develop yours.
The covenant intends to remove guesswork and prevents conflict (p. 19).
Practical Considerations: Developing a Covenant for Congregations with a Certified Lay Minister
Module 1, Page 20. Julia Kuhn Wallace
- What is a ministry covenant?
- Why is a covenant essential to the CLM process?
- Who should be involved in developing the covenant?
- How can people prepare for the covenant session?
- What should be included in the covenant?
- How should the covenant be presented for approvalby the congregation?
- What are some ways to help us keep the covenant?
- When should the covenant be reviewed or revised?
- What happens if the covenant isn’t working?
- What does a covenant-making session agenda looklike?
- Is there a covenant worksheet to help us get started?
- Should this document be signed and if so, by whom?
- What is the role of the district superintendent?
CLOSING PRAYER: PRAYER OF ST FRANCIS
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much
seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
This resource for teaching Module 1 of the Certified Lay Minister program of the Illinois Great Rivers Annual Conference is developed by David Kueker and is based on Module I: Call and Covenant for Ministry, copyright 2016 by Discipleship Resources, Nashville, TN.
CLM 1.6, Reviewed: 2-19-22.