Deep Word Writing Project Template
Title: How can I spend time in flow every day, especially when reading, researching, writing and editing?
Whiteboard #13 out of 13.
Where is the whiteboard in my life?
Where one can think deeply and ponder significant meaningful solutions to significant problems? (MBA Purpose)
Ask questions, get answers.
Adjust systems, change results.
Planning and development of protocols is always deep work.
QUOTE: 13. How can I spend time in flow every day, especially when reading, researching, writing and editing?
A: Reality Disciplines
THE PLAYING FIELD & RULEBOOK
1. Clarity of goals and immediate feedback
2. A high level of concentration on a limited field
3. Balance between skills and challenge. Do-able. Within reach.
Observation: this is like GTD execution … you’re following a clear process with clear steps, not reinventing the game, the process, the rules with every play. Input-Process-Output.
Results of this immersion experience:
4. The feeling of control … security and relaxation …
5. Effortlessness … harmoniously and effortlessly. All necessary decisions arise spontaneously from the demands of the activity without any deliberate reflection. (Rules already made.)
6. An altered perception of time
7. The melting together of action and consciousness
8. The autotelic quality of flow-experiences: IROI. Intrinsic motivation.
Questions for the playing field:
1. Are the goals clear?
2. Does the game provide immediate feedback?
3. Does the environment encourage a high level of concentration on a limited field?
4. Does the environment Minimize distractions?
5. Do the goals feel do-able? Within reach?
Note: [ under construction! ]
What gets your attention?
What human needs or problems are addressed?
What questions do you have?
What solution or hope does it offer?
What does it say that we need to obey?
What would a camera see if this happened?
Who needs to hear this?
What are the actual steps that I would take?
SOURCE – Footnotes:
This post, and others in this series, are based on the book Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport (New York: Grand Central Publishing, 2016), and as a group are a review of the important ideas and of the entire book. I was also privileged to take the online course Life of Focus Standard Edition [CN040]taught by Cal Newport and Scott Young and presented through https://www.scotthyoung.com, which enhanced my understanding of the subject which I am now applying to my own profession, the work of the local church pastor.
All Scripture quotations are from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Please review the page How and Why We Use Quotes.
Key: Deep_Word_#W13 Last Revision: 10/10/2020