ORIENTATION TO PASTORAL WORK, Session 2.2 – October 20, 2020
TO: Tasks and Organization (Administration = Paperwork)
Application: The Church as a Family of God, part 1. Church family systems, facilitating change.
1. We are a functional family of God where Jesus is Lord and people grow.
How do families grow? How do family members grow up? How do families adapt?
2. Church Family Systems: churches can be dysfunctional the same ways that families are dysfunctional. (Murray Bowen (Bowen Family Systems), Edwin Friedman, Peter Steinke).
Dysfunctional Family System Roles: alcoholic, co-dependent; Hero, Scapegoat, Lost Child, Mascot.
3. The most certain way to kill any living thing is to try to change it.
4. Diffusion of Innovations bell curve/standard distribution; Everett Rogers/Geoffrey Moore. Innovations are adopted from left to right across the adopter framework.
90% of strategic change initiatives fail; adoption is inevitable after gaining critical mass.
Adoption beyond the chasm is largely influenced by conversations with trusted peers.
5. All systems resist change; all systems prefer a steady homeostasis, known as the comfort zone.
Limits to Growth Archetype = Reinforcing Loop impacting a Balancing Loop. (Senge)
Rising anxiety triggers systemic resistance to change. Urgency and crisis prevent change.
6. How then can change happen?
Good management (not leadership) keeps anxiety low while everything runs smoothly.
Start slow, let it grow: Mat 13:33 He told them another parable. “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened.”
Set up new environments – containers for change to become established, and then spread: Luke 5:37 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; if he does, the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39 And no one after drinking old wine desires new; for he says, ‘The old is good.'”
7. “Differentiation while remaining in touch”
Differentiation decreases congregational anxiety.
Moses —————————>>> The Promised Land
Control (anxiety, triangling, denial, rules, etc.)
Jesus – One direction? (Differentiation)
Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth.”
8. S.H.A.P.E. + Rule of Three = Differentiation
Your Spiritual Gift is found in the center of
Your Heart and who you love,
Your Abilities and what you do well,
Your Personality and your preferences,
Your Experiences and what you’ve done.
Rule of Three: We’re not ready to start until there are three people willing to be in charge.
Download this presentation from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TIa2PpvHaC6qzUaZXuiERK1nCuaZC7Ie/view?usp=sharing
Please review the page How and Why We Use Quotes.-
Key: OPW_#. Last Revision: